9 September 2013

Review - Toasties & Wraps at Nicholls - Abergavenny


Abergavenny town centre doesn't have a great deal on offer when it comes to good food (despite the food festival fast approaching?!) but Nicholls is always a good shout. So when my best friend Bethan came to visit yesterday with her friend Dan we decided to go to our all time favourite coffee shop for a bite to eat. 

When Bethan and I were younger we used to meet here every Saturday for a hot chocolate before venturing into town to buy as much junk as we could find in the Claire's Accessories sale. Bright green frog keyrings and cherry lip glosses were necessities at the age of thirteen. 




Eight years later and we've swapped hot chocolates for milkshakes, coffee and, err, water... As for the spending all our pocket money on junk - well, that hasn't changed.



There is a fair amount to choose from on the menu at Nicholls. From toasties to salads, mains such as fish and chicken, to wraps and a cabinet display of cake at the coffee bar, you're bound to find something that takes your fancy. 

I always say I'll try something new when I go out to eat. This time I really could not decide, though, and settled on the Brie, Bacon & Cranberry Toastie on white bread, which I have had once before at Nicholls, and was very pleased with.



I love the decor in Nicholls coffee shop. I don't think I could justify ever hanging hearts this big in my house, but for this particular environment, they work really well and add a unique touch. I'm a sucker for skylight windows too. Natural light is the best.

There was a specials board but my camera didn't seem to want to take a photo of it :( but Bethan chose the gammon ham, mozzarella & tomato toastie from that, and Dan and I chose from the main menu.


Our sandwiches were served with a side salad and crisps. I liked that the salad wasn't drenched in dressing, but we were given the option of having a jug on the side.

Dan's chicken wrap served with lemon mayonnaise  - a dish I have tried before which is also very good.

This photograph doesn't do the oozing brie in this sandwich justice. I have to say this is my all time favourite place to get a bacon, brie & cranberry toastie from. The best thing about this sandwich is that it's cheesy, bacon-y and sweet all at the same time, but it's not too rich because the cheese isn't very salty. I am often put off by sandwiches overloaded with mature cheddar and bacon, but this variation makes for a well balanced sandwich. The bread is also very fresh and tasty.
There's certainly nothing unusual about the food that Nicholls serve. This place is trustworthy and safe if you want a nice hearty sandwich for lunch or a traditional pot of tea and a scone. And a lot of the time, that is exactly what I fancy. 

You can check out Nicholls coffee shop website here for more details on their menu, location and news. Where is your favourite place to go for lunch and a catch up? Let me know in the comment box below or tweet me @hello_flower
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig