3 September 2014

Christmas Sandwich at Cafe Mauds – Belfast

Mmm... Mauds. Don't make the mistake of visiting the Titanic Experience in Belfast (I learned more watching the film when I was seven) Instead, head over to Cafe Mauds where you can spend your £15.50 on something waaaaay better.

Karen and the girls insisted that Mauds was the best for lunch, so we listened. They were right.

Inside it's fairly plain, seating-wise, but the bar area is phenomenal. The first thing I saw was the assembling of a sort of ice cream sundae – it looked incredible.

How perfect does the rocky road look? I know it's meant to look 'rocky' (heh) and uneven, but I kind of like this neat and tidy(er) version. I used to make Nigella's rocky road all the time when I was 15/16. All the cakes, pies and biscuits on display in Mauds left me inspired to start baking again. It's been too long since I enjoyed milk and cookies.

But as soon as I saw turkey on the menu, there was no going back. You should know by now how much I love Christmas, and despite fully embracing summer this year for the first time...ever...I'm still very much a lover of winter, and a taste of what's to come this season was welcome indeed.
The waitress said it would be great toasted, so I said ok then. I love when staff give you their recommendations, it makes me feel like they're letting me in on a secret.

To drink I chose a green tea. Sometimes I try to be healthy, you know.

Bethan ordered a bacon and maple syrup crepe - you read right. Next time I'm getting me some of that.


I couldn't complain about my dish, though. Lots and lots of turkey stuffed inside two nicely toasted pieces of soft white bread, stuffing crumbling through the edges, more than enough onions and a generous helping of cranberry to glue it all together. It wasn't exactly how I imagined it would be, but it was unlike anything I had ever eaten before and it was delicious and beautiful and got me all excited for Christmas which is, err, more than three months away...

Have you been to Mauds? If not, why not?! I want to go back and try everything on their menu. And did I mention the staff are great? Shout out to the cute guy, Michael, who served us at the till : )
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Is this heaven or what?! The sandwich definitely isn't what I would expect to get either but it all looks amazing xxx

    Blonde of carbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my favourite place we went to when we were in Ireland, soooo good!
      N xo

      Delete
  2. I'm from around Belfast myself and I love Café Mauds on the Lisburn road but its always so busy! That's a downside. Plus I always see so many people I know- Northern Ireland/Belfast is too small of a place. Would you not recommend the Titanic Museum then? I still haven't been. I find it's like way to expensive to justify xxx

    www.alphabeth.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I can imagine it does get quite busy - but we went at about 4 o'clock, more of a late lunch really!
      The Titanic Experience was definitely far too much money for what it is. We spent more than two hours in there just trying to get to the end of it and it was just so disappointing and boring.
      N xo

      Delete
  3. haha, I hope Michael reads this! ;) bacon & maple crepe. amazing. and your sandwich looks delicious - christmas will be here before we know it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too ;)
      I could eat one right now. Wish this was closer to my house!
      And I can't waaaait for Christmas. Although I can, because this is my favourite season and I want it to last and last : )
      N xo

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig