9 March 2014

Skin Saviours – La Roche-Posay Effaclar

I invested in the the La Roche-Posay Effaclar range on somewhat of a whim. I find it difficult to find honest and reliable reviews of skin care products and there are so many products to choose from it can be a bit overwhelming. A lot of beauty bloggers have flawless skin so it's disappointing when none review products for problem skin, when so many of us suffer from it. I have tried and given up on all the high street brands, and not seen a great result from using Liz Earle, so I thought I had better invest in something that might actually target affected areas.

I went for La Roche-Posay Effaclar because it was 3 for 2 on the Boots website, and I had heard so many rave reviews about the Effaclar Duo. I had also received a sample of it in the post and was impressed with how much it reduced redness on my face. Another plus – La Roche-Posay won't break the bank. At about £10-£15 per item, you get what you pay for and it lasts a while. I bought these items in January and have since only had to replace the moisturiser as it ran out after about 6 weeks use (why 40ml for the moisturiser and 200ml for the cleanser and toner?!)



First up is the purifying foaming gel for oily sensitive skin. It's soap free, alcohol free, paraben free, colourant free and has a pH of 5.5. Claims to gently purify the skin with ingredients selected to respect sensitive skin. It "eliminates impurities and excess sebum leaving the skin clear and refreshed".

The first thing I noticed when I opened this was the smell. It has a fresh, chemical-like, clean smell, but it isn't too strong. It's a gel that you lather up in your hands to turn into a nice soft foam. It is very gentle on the skin and it cleans everything away brilliantly. The only problem with this is that I have to use the toner and moisturiser straight after otherwise my skin goes super tight *shudder* My skin isn't too oily, but this cleanser really does balance out the oil and dryness in my skin, especially overnight.

 

After cleansing comes the astringent lotion micro-exfoliant This stuff claims to help unblock and reduce the appearance of pore size, due to the combination of cleansing agents and micro-exfoliant LHA (whatever that is).

This toner is absolutely fantastic. I wish I had discovered exfoliating toners sooner. They really get to work on your skin and make you feel super squeaky clean and prepped for the day or night ahead. Because this has salicylic acid in it, it works wonders on my skin. I have no idea how, or why, but salicylic acid is the one. I was desperate to try the Pixi Glow tonic but it was out of stock for so long and I could never get my hands on it. The great thing about this one though is it does exactly what it says on the tin. There's a sort of 'stopper' in the lid so when you apply it to cotton wool it doesn't go everywhere and waste a load of product. I couldn't live without this stuff now.

 

I finish with the Effaclar Duo [+] which simply says it "corrects the appearance of imperfections". On the Boots website it says this is a moisturiser but I have found that I need to use something else once this has sunk in because I need a little more hydration. But if you have really oily skin this on its own would do just fine. 

This has a lovely consistency that absorbs into the skin almost instantly, and it really does work in getting rid of spots and marks. It doesn't fade marks completely, but it definitely keeps things calm and stable, and that's good enough for me at the moment (if you know of any miracle products that really do fade marks completely, TELL ME PLEASE).

When I first started using this range my skin burned so badly. It stung and I wanted to rip my whole face off. After about five minutes it would calm down but I was really worried I was having an allergic reaction to the products. It really was awful for the first few days, but somehow, my skin stopped reacting that way as I persevered. So if you use this and you find your skin doesn't like it to start with, keep going, because that's when it will change and get better. 

I have noticed a huge improvement in my skin since using this range, and although my skin is not completely clear, these products really have saved my skin from how it was before and I will continue to use them because they work so well together.

What are you skin saviours? I would recommend the La Roche-Posay Effaclar range to anyone, even if you don't suffer from spots particularly. It's a reliable brand that offers value for money and real results – I have already repurchased the Effaclar Duo [+]
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. Thanks for the frank review...I've never really used toner before but your review has definitely inspired me to look into this brand more, as i'm always looking for ways to reduce the appearance of pores! Danielle x

    frontiere-girl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth investing in. Some reviews on the website have said it's quite harsh for day-to-day wear but I think it's something you have to keep going with to see the results. Definitely recommend :)
      N xo

      Delete
    2. Hi Naomii
      When i saw your review on effaclar duo (+) , I thought of telling you this . Well, I’m a 13 year old girl my skin always was clean and I never had pimples but when I was 12 .. a lot of pimples started appearing in my face and I couldn’t get rid of acne and then I had blackheads which was worst And until now I hadn’t found the perfect product but then I heard good reviews about effaclar duo (+) , I started using it but every single time I use it , it burns my whole face like it’s on fire and I would end up washing my face because I couldn’t stand it , do you think skin is allergic to this product or it’s just how it works ?
      Looking forward to hearing from you ,
      Habiba

      Delete
    3. True. I wash my face too after 10 minutes bcs it feel so bad

      Delete
  2. i love la roche posay - i have a whole bunch of their products, and use 2 or 3 of them daily. the effaclar duo is amazing, i'm so glad you decided to try out the range! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which ones do you use? I'd love to try some more! It's the first skincare brand that has actually had some beneficial effect on my skin and I love it.
      N xo

      Delete
  3. I've just starting using these products and came across your review. I'm in the 'stinging' phase but will persevere after reading this. May I ask what you use after the Duo as I too feel like I need some extra hydration. Thank you X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma,

      I don't actually use this skincare at the moment as I'm undergoing a course of Isotretinoin for my acne and have stuck to gentler products for now. I do intend to go back to using the duo afterwards though to combat marks.

      To answer your question, I would say Simple rich moisturiser is perfect for the summer time. During winter when my skin needs something more I would use the La Roche Posay Effaclar H soothing moisturiser - it's rich and extremely moisturising without being at all greasy, and it never makes me break out.

      Hope that helps!

      N xo

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for your reply Naomi. I'll give both moisturisers a go. Good luck with your course of Isotretinoin Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad I found this. I just started using the effaclar duo + and my skin is burning from it. But if it's only like this at the start I'm just going to push past it ha. Thanks so much for this I was worried I'd have to give it away.
    Stephanie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just started using this products for my teenage boys. Right now one son is feeling burning and tingling sensation while the other son doesn't feel anything. Both having acne problem. Is this normal? Should he stop or that is part of the healing process?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have also started using the cleanser, moisturiser and sunscreen but all of the 3 product causes burning sensation on my face for 5 minutes . But it will go away afterwards Could you please suggest if i should use this product or not

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing such beautiful information with us. I hope you will share some more information about pimples.Please keep sharing.
    Health Is A Life

    ReplyDelete
  10. True. I've been use it. First time i use the effaclar duo plus it feel so hot inside my face and hurts badly! Btw,thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did u have any mark from the burns on your face after using this products? It really does feel like I have burns on my face and it's going to leave a mark :S

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. This is really good. Thanks for sharing this information. Keep sharing.

    Ways to Fight Pimples and Acne in Summers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sharing this list with all my fellow oily-skinned pals! 🌟 These top 5 Best Night Cream for Oily Skin and Pimples. are absolute lifesavers for keeping our skin balanced and blemish-free. Let's all say goodbye to pesky pimples and hello to a radiant complexion. Can't wait to hear everyone's experiences with these fantastic finds!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig