14 March 2014

On Becoming an Auntie

Something really exciting happened in January. My big sister had a baby! Her first baby, and my first niece. On Sunday 19th January, Olivia Mae Howells was born, and a new life came into the world.

After a long Sunday spent anxiously waiting for the phone to ring, I woke up at about 1am to my mum's squeals and ran out of my room to the stairs to hear the news that Emily had had a GIRL. A beautiful little fair haired, dark eyed girl. I couldn't wait to meet her. I couldn't wait to see my sister. How had she done that – given birth? I couldn't get my head round it. I still can't.

Olivia is a little person. She has doll like finger nails, delicate nails and the softest ears. Her chin is like a button mushroom, and her lips are big and juicy. She is so small.

The first time I held her I felt like I was holding a baby made of the finest china, the thinnest glass. She was less than a day old. I had been to work and shown my friends the few photos my sister had sent since Olivia had been born, and the office was filled with excitement at this new arrival of life – one that would affect and shape many others.


Have you ever thought about this – how incredible it is to witness the start of a new life? It's so special, knowing that you were there when someone was born. Waiting for the phone call. Knowing it was happening, waiting for the news. Seeing them the next day, with their new parents(!) Seeing a new life grow, for the rest of your life.

One day Olivia will talk, go to school, brush her hair, clean her teeth, play with Barbies in the bath, have sleepovers with her best friend, have a Birthday party and cry when she doesn't get the present she wished for, lose a tooth, fall off her bike, run a race, sit exams, fall in love, decide on her dream, choose a way to live... But what's most exciting, is the eight week old, totally dependent baby who can just about hold her head up and smile when she chooses to – learning the very basics of adapting to life outside of the womb – will, one day, know my name. Her Auntie Nomes. That's me.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. This is so adorable I could cry, beautiful photos of you both too! I don't have any nieces/nephews but my brother has turned one and I feel the same as you :) So gorgeous xxxxx



    www.jesscaedmunds.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica. Aww, happy birthday to him! Babies are so cute.
      N xo

      Delete
  2. This made me well up a little bit! Congratulations to you and your family. That second photo is precious - she's looking right at you thinking "yay I get her as an aunt!" x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you Miho! Hehe I hadn't even thought of that :)
      N xo

      Delete
  3. She is adorable, and Olivia is also such a gorgeous name. I think it's impossible to describe how you must have felt when your little niece was born. It's such a memorable moment. Congratulations!

    Sofie x
    Little green Sofie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her name too. And you're right, it is just something you have to experience to know. It's amazing :)
      And thank you xo

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig