19 January 2014

Word of the Week

I sometimes think to myself how fortunate I am to be a native speaker of the English language. It is a complex, hypocritical and ever growing language which I am sure I will be learning about for the rest of my life. I think that's fantastic.

At work I have been learning the differences between homophones - some of which I never even knew existed before, like, did you know there are three different meanings and spellings for the word 'palette'? I knew there were one or two, but not three. I am learning so much in my new job, and every day when I sit down at my desk I can't help but smile and think about how fortunate I am to be working in a job that I enjoy.

Anyway, I haven't written a word of the week post in quite some time, and this is because over Christmas I admittedly didn't do very much reading. However, this week Glorydory commented on my post 'Twenty Minute Friends', describing chance encounters as 'absconding', which stood out to me. I didn't know what it meant, so I looked it up on dictionary.com and it prompted me to get back into writing this series on What Naomi Wrote because I love keeping a record of all the new words I learn, and sharing the words I find most striking.

Abscond - verb (used without object)
to depart in a sudden and secret manner, especially to avoid capture and legal prosecution: The cashier absconded with the money.*

What do you think of the word 'abscond'? Have you learnt any new words recently? Let me know in the comments below!
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. What a great sounding word! And what a great idea for a series!
    I'm going to go and read back through your previous ones. Thanks for reminding me of my geeky love of words! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I'm glad you like it! It's a good way for me to learn new words too. I always see one that I don't know and forget it almost instantly.
      N xo

      Delete
  2. I just stumbled upon your blog and I love it - you remind me of me. Great idea doing a word of the week post, it's amazing how many words are out there and how little some of us know. One of those being me, I'm really tired of using the same vocabulary and sitting thinking "Man, I'm so bored of that word," so I'll definitely learn something from you.

    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura,
      Thank you so much! I've had a look at your blog and the feeling is mutual - partly because you have an illustration of an adorable bunny and I looooove rabbits more than you will ever know :)
      N xo

      Delete
  3. I love this series, N! Always look forward to it. My new word of the week: to inveigle. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an exceptional word, Lu! I will have to look it up and learn how and when to use it.
      xx

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig