11 December 2013

Loving: The Pre-Christmas 'Detox'

December and detox are two words that just don't go together. Ever. Except for this year, because it's OK - it's only for two weeks. I can still enjoy Christmas. And, the strangest thing of all is that I am loving it.

Why?

It has come to my attention recently just how disgusting I have been feeling, on the inside and out. My skin is terrible, truly. If you read my post about make up for problem skin then you will know I already suffer with acne and it's a pain in the bloomin' bum, I tell you. It does tend to get worse during the winter but this year more aggressively so, and it's been getting me down. I've been to see my doctor who kindly prescribed me antibiotics and cream to wear at night as it is mainly painful under the skin problems I am having, but I wanted to improve my diet to see if it makes a difference.

I have also been feeling really sluggish and bloated as of late. It may be because I haven't been exercising as much (it's winter and I have no one to go running with - can anyone really blame me?) but I have been eating a lot of junk too, and it's time to snap out of it before I over-indulge and ruin Christmas.

N.B. I am not trying to lose weight.

Source




When?


It was my sister's idea to stop eating sweets up until Christmas about a week ago, and we both agreed to start straight away, with the exception of opening our chocolate advent calendars every day. One day into it and we had both failed, miserably. A week later, I was complaining to my mum about how rubbish I felt and she suggested the 'detox' again. She encouraged me to do it as it's only for two weeks. I thought to myself, I can do it, and I genuinely think that was my problem before - not having a realistic goal to reach.

In the past I have tried to cut out junk but because I was doing it indefinitely, I found it impossible. Sometimes, to train your body to eat treats in moderation, you must eliminate it entirely from your diet for a short while and then reintroduce it. I found this difficult to do alone, but my mum is an excellent motivator and we have both succeeded for two days now, and I am so proud of us both.

The 'Detox'

I call it a detox, but really, we have only eliminated sweet, sugary foods and drinks from our diets until Christmas Eve. My mum doesn't eat very much rubbish anyway, but I love chocolate, and biscuits, and cake... I have a horribly sweet tooth, I may have a problem. Two days without any of it is a real milestone for me in itself, which is ridiculous, but it's such an achievement for me, and by the end of the two weeks, I know how happy I will be with myself for having the will power and strength to see it through.

Breakfast day 1: glass of water, green tea and porridge with raisins.
I am not cutting out fat or carbohydrates from my diet - I am not trying to lose weight. I am just eliminating the sugary treats that my body does not need, as well as drinking more water and green tea to try and clear up my skin and flush out any rubbish on the inside. 

Sticking to it

I thought it would be really difficult avoiding my favourite sweet treats but knowing I have promised my mum makes me more motivated not to give in. It's all too easy to let yourself down when it comes to exercise and healthy eating, but not when you have made a promise to someone else.

The Benefits
 
I love waking up in the morning and having a flat stomach because I haven't been eating junk. For three days now I have woken up without feeling bloated and disgusting. I love how I know that everything I am eating is good for me and I am getting all of my five a day and drinking lots of water and green tea, and I love how happy it is making me. Happiness is a feeling, a state of being that I am all too conscious about not taking for granted. It is a wonderful gift to be happy, and to feel it through self-motivation and self-control is fantastic.

Reaching a goal creates an amazing sense of achievement and self-worth, and it sounds self-indulgent, but sometimes we need that, whatever the goal is. 

Source

In no way am I suggesting this 'detox' is what everyone should be doing two weeks before Christmas, because not everyone will want to, or need to, and that's fine - I'm no expert, in fact, I don't know much about nutrition at all. This is more about reaching personal goals and the positive physical and mental effects of cutting out unnecessary foods, habits or activities in our lives. I think it will make me appreciate Christmas even more, and make all my favourite sweet treats taste even better. Is there a 'detox' you have thought about doing? I'm thinking of doing a social media detox, or a TV detox. It can be anything you find yourself over-indulging in, and it's a great way to re-evaluate the way you live your life.
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. I think I may have to join you on this! It's a great idea - knowing it's only for two weeks somehow makes it more bearable! I have a terribly sweet tooth as well so it's flippin hard work just to say no to one chocolate digestive haha. But after Christmas you'll feel great, knowing what could have been ;)
    Great post! XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I keep thinking, on Christmas Eve I can come into work and have a hot chocolate with cream and chocolate curls and sprinkles and ahhhh it will be amazing! I'm glad you like the post, I was a bit worried that no one would haha :)
      N xo

      Delete
  2. I really needed this post!
    I tried to start a very similar detox yesterday and caved after just a few hours of Microsoft excel driving me crazy at work and had a super sugary coffee and felt so annoyed with myself. Detoxing is so hard at this time of year when everyone is offering you sweet treats all day long.

    It's good to know you're already feeling the benefits - I'm definitely going to try even harder to stick to it now.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one! It is SO difficult when motivating yourself. I am the exact same - when I've had a bad day or am stressed out or whatever, any excuse, I will get straight back onto the chocolate, I just can't help it, I love it so much, but because it's a promise to my mum as well I don't want to let her down so it's really good to do it alongside someone else.
      Also, it's only for 2 weeks and I can still enjoy the Christmas period when Christmas officially arrives :) I hope you manage to get back on it and don't get too ragey at work! ;)
      N xo

      Delete
  3. Good idea!

    It is difficult to cut out food, especially with temptation around this time of year. I tend to do a week or two week detox if I'm feeling pretty terrible, it always makes you feel better, and afterwards your less inclined to take up treats again - although one bad weekend away with friends can obliterate this!

    Hmm maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't quite believe I am doing this in DECEMBER. It is madness, but it seems to be working and I have managed three whole days now, wahoo! I think it's just knowing I will enjoy Christmas so much more as it won't have already been spoiled with over eating all the treats :) And I like that idea, I think i might do it more in the new year. Perhaps one week a month, or something like that.
      N xo

      Delete
  4. I think it's a fabulous idea! I love eating healthy it makes me feel good, and I think it's a great idea right up to Christmas I definitely which id followed suit! Xx


    www.jesscaedmunds.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig